Welcome to my world!

I've developed a passion for cooking since childhood, but in the past six years, that passion has grown into a geeky obsession. I love cooking, baking, and most importantly, sharing the love of food with family and friends. I invite you along on my journey of food discovery and passion.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Oreo Cake Balls - a Rock Star Dessert!

To say I love sugary, chocolately treats would be an understatement.  I'm generally dreaming of chocolate morning, noon, and night.  I also love to bake and cook (if you haven't noticed).  A few months back, I jumped on the cake ball bandwagon and made some traditional cake balls - cooked up a cake in a pan, let it cool, turned it into crumbs, mixed with frosting, chilled, then dipped in melted chocolate.  It's not complicated, but it does take time since you have to first BAKE the cake, THEN cool it (overnight is best), THEN crumble and add frosting, THEN chill it for at least 15 more minutes before dipping.  All told, it was a two day process!  I'm not opposed to spending that time for special occasions, but if I need some instant gratification, I now have an easier way... Oreo Cake Balls!

My sister-in-law shared the recipe and it earned two thumbs up for both simplicity and taste.  Truth be told, I ate half of them before ever sharing!!  I also love the versatility of chocolate options for dipping.  To experiment, I used two different types of chocolate for dipping - some in milk chocolate and some in semi-sweet.  Bake sale, chocolate emergency, whatever the situation, MAKE THEM! :)  You will be a rock star to your family, bake sale, and tummy.

Bet you can't eat just one!
Oreo Cake Balls
1 package Oreo cookies (regular kind)
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
2 packages chocolate chips of choice (white, milk, or semi-sweet)
Assorted decorative sprinkles

Place Oreos in food processor and grind until crumbly.  Cut cream cheese into 8 squares and add to Oreo crumbs.  Run food processor until cream cheese is incorporated into Oreo crumbs and mixture starts to form a ball.  Line a sheet pan with tin foil or waxed paper.  Using small cookie scoop or teaspoon, portion out mixture and roll into balls.  Chill in freezer for 10 minutes to firm.  While chilling, place chocolate chips in microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes to melt.  Stir and continue microwaving in 20 - 30 second intervals until all chips melted.  Remove Oreo balls from freezer and dip each in chocolate.  Place dipped balls back onto lined sheet pan.  Sprinkle with decorative sugar or sprinkles.  If using different types of chocolate, melt them separately.

Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. Yum-o, I must try! how did they taste with the milk chocolate versus semi-sweet? Definitely a must for my girls bday parties coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The filling isn't very sweet, so the milk chocolate actually went well. I'm told white chocolate is really good with these too!

    ReplyDelete