Welcome to my world!

I've developed a passion for cooking since childhood, but in the past six years, that passion has grown into a geeky obsession. I love cooking, baking, and most importantly, sharing the love of food with family and friends. I invite you along on my journey of food discovery and passion.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Breakfast for Dinner - Quick and Easy Hash

Having breakfast for dinner seems almost naughty, like I'm breaking a rule I was brought up to obey.  I made a really delicious beef roast this weekend, but with only two eaters (ok - 2 1/3 since one of the cats loves beef), I had a ridiculous amount of leftovers.  One of our favorite meals is a steak with baked potato and a side dish of sauteed mushrooms and onions.  Why not put those same flavors in a one-dish meal of hash?

Foods cook faster if they're cut in small pieces, so to get dinner on the table fast, chopping up all of the ingredients cooks everything faster.  The beauty of this dish is the use of leftovers.  Anything can go in a hash - vegetables (yes, even broccoli or zucchini), potatoes, meat, etc. 

My kitchen staples include potatoes, onions, and mushrooms, so with the leftover roast, I was set!  I chopped up the mushrooms into rough pieces, cubed the potatoes small (frozen hash brown potatoes would work fine too), and cut the roast into pieces.  I started by sauteeing the onions on medium in a little oil; then when they were translucent, I added the mushrooms and cooked them until their liquid was cooked off.  I moved that to a bowl and cooked the potatoes until browned.  Once done, I added in the meat and the mushroom mixture and heated it through.  Though the potatoes took a while to cook (about 20 minutes since I cooked them at medium heat), it was worth it when the hash came together.  A recipe isn't important - use what you have available - heck, cook breakfast sausages and cut them, use ground beef, whatever!  Add browned potatoes (frozen, refrigerated, or fresh), and whatever vegetables (cooked to your liking).  Voila!

No "breakfast for dinner" meal is complete without an egg, so I fried one up to order (use the same pan as the hash!).  Ice likes his over-medium to over-hard (shown above) with lots of pepper, while mine is over easy.  That allows the yolk, when broken, to run over the hash and make its own sauce.  What elevated the dish to a different realm was the "homemade" ketchup.  This is what separates the kids' dish from the grown-ups!  Ketchup + Sriracha = heavenly hash condiment with just the right amount of spicy and sweet to balance out the richness of the egg, potatoes and steak.

Sriracha Ketchup
1/2 cup store-bought ketchup of choice
1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons of Sriracha (based on level of spice preferred)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
1/2 tsp diced shallot (optional)

If using, mince shallot finely and mince parsley finely.  Set aside.  In a small bowl, add ketchup and Sriracha to taste.  Once desired level of heat is reached, add in pepper, parsley, and shallot (if using).  Serve with hash.



No comments:

Post a Comment