Welcome to my world!

I've developed a passion for cooking since childhood, but in the past six years, that passion has grown into a geeky obsession. I love cooking, baking, and most importantly, sharing the love of food with family and friends. I invite you along on my journey of food discovery and passion.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Where have I been? Culinary re-inspirations....

If you've been wondering, strange things are afoot at the Circle K.  Actually, since February, my life has changed dramatically.  The hubs and I are dealing with the challenge of living in two separate cities due to a job change I undertook.  As a result, I primarily live in a temporary housing situation in Florida while he maintains the homestead in Dallas.  Aside from completely demotivating me to cook since there is no one for whom to cook, I don't have my knives, utensils, or kitchen (or my sweetie for inspiration).  So, as a consequence, I have honestly cooked very little in the past four months. 

After finally getting settled a bit (with permanent digs coming soon), I finally feel inspired to cook again.  So, welcome back readers as I immerse myself in some new directions (I cooked fish!!) and experiment some on recipes that Ice wouldn't consider trying.  My welcome back present is actually an old favorite that I took from "Real Simple" magazine and adapted.  It is PERFECT for a summer bbq or potluck and I promise you will inspire others to make it too.  It is the ultimate recipe celebrating improvisation and versatility.  Don't like whipping up cream?  Omit the cream and powdered sugar and use Cool-Whip like my mom did.  86 the chocolate chips for different types of crushed up cookies (mint Girl Scout Thin Mints are a fave) or chopped candy bars.  Any way you make it, you won't want to put it back in the freezer!

Simple Ice Cream Cake
1 box (about 12) ice cream sandwiches, frozen
2 cups heavy cream
4 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

In mixing bowl, whip up heavy cream with hand blender or mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.  Add powdered sugar and whip until stiff peaks form (almost overbeaten).  Set aside.  Line a bread loaf pan with plastic wrap and wax paper.  Place a layer (about 1/2 of mixture) of whipped cream on bottom and sides of loaf pan.  Unwrap ice cream sandwiches.  Make a single layer of ice cream sandwiches (about 1/3) in bottom of loaf pan (can cut sandwiches to fit).  Top with half of remaining whipped cream.  Sprinkle 1/4 cup of chocolate chips over whipped cream.  Layer with more sandwiches (another 1/3).  Top with remainder of whipped cream, then 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and finish with rest of sandwiches.  Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for one hour or more.  Remove from loaf pan, flip (so that last layer of sandwiches is on the bottom), place on plate, and unwrap.  Let soften 2 - 3 minutes, then sprinkle whipped cream layer with remaining chocolate chips.  Place in freezer until ready to enjoy.

This makes a fantastic option with different types of chopped candy bars (probably need more than a cup of candy) and really gives you versatility based on the crowd.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment