Welcome to my world!

I've developed a passion for cooking since childhood, but in the past six years, that passion has grown into a geeky obsession. I love cooking, baking, and most importantly, sharing the love of food with family and friends. I invite you along on my journey of food discovery and passion.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Packers win the Superbowl! Football food

Being a lifelong Packer fan, I just had to get that said. :)  In preparation of the Packers first trip to the Superbowl since 1997, I prepared a series of appetizers and a signature dessert - French Silk Pie.  Made some simple sausage rolls, homemade salsa, guacamole, chili, cowboy caviar, buffalo chicken dip, artichoke-olive dip, and the aforementioned dessert.  Yes, I break every rule Ina Garten taught when it comes to quantity of food.  But I listened to her rule about not cooking while guests are present - everything was done ahead.

I agree with the principles of easy entertaining.  By that rule, I should have done 3 - 4 items, max.  Why didn't I?  Partially, because this is a send-off of sorts and was my final chance to cook for friends for a while.  Partially, I had the ingredients already handy for so many of the items it seemed silly not to use them.  Lastly, because I wanted to.  As moms all over the world say, "do as I say and not as I do!"

I've covered some of thes recipes before, but the one that is my absolute "signature" item that I think everyone will remember me for is my French Silk Pie.  I based it on a recipe from the cookbook "Recipe Hall of Fame" but I diverge in two key areas - 1. the crust - they use a meringue crust.  I find that's a recipe for soggy, so I create a cookie crust; 2.  the whipped cream topping.  Not that I'm looking to save calories on a dessert made of butter, sugar, and heavy cream, but I like to lighten up my whipped cream by adding beaten egg whites.  Cuts the sweetness a bit since the chocolate mousse is sooo rich. 

While I won't give the WHOLE recipe, here's the recipe for the chocolate mousse.  I hope you enjoy!

Heather's Very Chocolatey French Silk Mousse

1 cup butter, room temperature
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar (superfine is best)
4 eggs

Beat softened butter about 1 minute or until fluffy.  Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave.  Add the chocolate to the butter and beat at medium-high speed 2 - 3 minutes, scraping bowl halfway through.  Add the sugar and vanilla and mix to incorporate.  Add eggs and beat on high for 15 minutes (color will change from light to darker brown). 

Pour into container(s) to chill.  Let chill 2 to 4 hours and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment